Develop and defend a thesis about the following essay question by discussing Kant’s Metaphysics of Morals and the two essays by Marcus Willaschek and Michael Nance.
Essay Question: Can Kant’s “universal principle of right” be derived from his “categoricalimperative“?
You might consider the following questions
1) Is Kant’s intention to derive the UPR from the CI?
2) Why would one think the UPR is not derived from the CI?
3) What are the similarities and differences between the UPR and the CI?
4) What is the relationship between legality and morality?
5) What are the stakes of the debate? Why is the question of the deduction of the UPR important?
6) If the UPR is not derived from the CI, how does Kant establish the UPR?
Key concepts you might consider:
1) External and Internal Freedom
2) Universal law
3) Legality and Morality
Secondary Literature: It is required that you read and discuss the articles and debate between Marcus Willaschek and Michael Nance.
– Your essay should not be about Willaschek or Nance, but about Kant and how to best to interpret Kant.
– Aim to focus on the theses and arguments of Willaschek and Nance.
– Do you agree with either of their main claims? Why or why not?
– Does your interpretation or view differ?
– Do they ignore important evidence in Kant?
Some error has occured.