Assignment 1: Rationale and Analysis for Agency Selected, Part 1
Due: April 15, 2013
Write: 3 ? 4 pages
Agency: Veteran Administration / Claims Processing Dilemmas
Scenario: You take on the role of a consultant for a government agency. Your consulting firm has been asked by the agency to research it, interview representatives within the agency, compile a report, and provide recommendations for improvement. The first role of the consultant is to become familiar with the agency, its departments, and key actors. Select a local, county, state, or federal agency and a department within the agency; and contact information found on their Websites.
After selecting an agency and department, you are expected to:
1. Research the literature regarding issues that involve the selected agency and public administration in general.
2. Interview at least two (2) representatives of the agency?s department for the different sections of the paper. If you can obtain more than two (2) different interviews, do so. The more perspectives the better. Interviews can be conducted in person, by phone, or by an electronic method such as email.
Report Should Detail:
1. Thoroughly provide background information about the agency?s key historical events, mission, and goals / objectives. (Title this section Introduction)
2. Thoroughly describe at least three (3) functions of this agency, highlighting the public it serves. (Title this section Agency Functions)
3. Thoroughly analyze at least two (2) current events involving the agency that might have implications to personnel management. (Use eActivities from WK1 & WK2.) (Title this section Agency News)
4. Thoroughly explain the rationale for selecting this agency with at least two (2) justifiable reasons. (Title this section Rationale for Selecting Agency).
5. List at least four (4) academic sources and government Websites that can be accesses in the research. Include no more than one (1) non-government Website.
Helpful websites you may want to access:
? U.S. Government Website located at www.usa.gov
? Office of Personnel Management Website located at www.opm.gov
? FedWorld Website located at http://www.fedworld.gov/
Specific outcomes associated with this assignment must:
? Analyze key historical and legislative events in the development of personnel management in the public sector.
? Analyze pertinent issues, such as motivation and productivity, collective bargaining, labor relations, equal employment opportunity (EEO), affirmative action (AA), intergovernmental relations, and / or professionalism, facing public personnel managers.
? Assess external organizational and employee conditions as well as their implications to and impact on personnel management.
? Develop a proposal for strategic public personnel management for a specific setting.
? Use technology and information resources to research issues in public personnel management.
? No publication of projects containing the results of or information from the interviews is allowed, including publication in social media, blogs or the internet generally.
? For interviews, may not disclose personally identifiable information about interviewees.
? Write clearly and concisely about public personnel management using proper writing mechanics.
? Assignment formatting requirements: Citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. When referencing Websites, make sure you follow APA formatting within the text and on the Reference Page. ***PLEASE CITE REFERENCES WITHIN CONTENT OF PAPER****
Some error has occured.