# 3. Individual Paper Application and Integration of AACN Synergy Care model in Clinical Practice ? 30% (Adapted from Fawcett, 2005). Please see Grading Rubrics at the end of this syllabus.
Each student will select a nursing practice relevant model or a nursing model developed by one of the nurse theorists. Identify the compatibility of the model with your philosophy of nursing practice. In assisting you to obtain information for the development of your paper, include use of primary resources (up-to-date articles and books written by the theorist), secondary sources, research articles, and clinical practice articles. Excellent resources are the journals; Advances in Nursing Science, Image, and Nursing Science Quarterly. Use the following criteria to guide the development of your nursing models paper. This Paper should be 8 – 10 pages of content excluding figure and reference pages. I will stop grading after the 8-10 pages on content.
1. Provide a synopsis of the theory?s background. What is the historical evolution of the model? What motivated development of the model? On what philosophical beliefs and values about nursing is the model based? What strategies for knowledge development were used to formulate the model? What scholars influenced the model author?s thinking?
2. What is the unique focus of the model?
3. Present an organized overview of the model and its major concepts, including definitions of key terms and major concepts. How are human beings defined and described? How is environment defined and described? How is health defined? How are wellness and illness differentiated? How is nursing defined? What is the goal of nursing? How is nursing practice described? What statements are made about the relations among the four metaparadigm concepts?
4. What theories have been generated from the model? What is the overall contribution of the model to the discipline of nursing? To what extent is the model actually used to guide nursing practice and research? Identify the strengths and weaknesses of the model for nursing practice.
5. Summarize at least one clinical or research study that has tested an aspect of the model or used this model as a conceptual framework.
6. Apply the domains of the model in the real world of nursing practice. Discuss theory-based nursing practice using the model for a chosen patient population. Include QSEN Competencies.
Discuss the application of the model in addressing the priority in patient care in the organizations and work environment, and the potential integration with useful leadership principles to improve patient outcomes.
I am attaching a list of potential references (the references cannot be older than 5 yrs)
(2012). AACN Synergy Model. Retrieved from http://nursing-theory.org/AACN-synergy-model.php
(2012). Retrieved from http://nurisingtheories.info/Virginia-henderson-theory-of-nursing-14-basic-needs
Alligood, M.R., & Mariner Tomey, A. (2010). Nursing Theorists of Historical Significance. In Y. Alexopulos, & H. Bays (Eds.), Nursing Theorists and Their Work (7th ed., p. 56). Maryland Heights, MO: Mosby Elsevier.
American Association of Critical Care Nurses. (2012). The AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.org/WD/Certifications/Docs/SynergyModelforPatientCare.pdf
Four Basic Metapardigm Concepts in Nursing. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.ehow.com/list_6106429_four-basic-metaparadigm-concepts-nursing.html
Gomez, N. J. (Ed.). (2012). Advanced Practice in Nephrology Nursing. Nephrology Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice. (7th ed., p.3). Pitman, New Jersey: American Nephrology Nurses? Association.
Hardin, S. R., & Kaplow, R. (2005). Introduction to the AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care. In Sullivan, K., & Sekerak, R. (Eds.), Synergy for Clinical Excellence: The AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care. (pp. 3-10). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Kaplow, R., & Reed, K. D. (2008, January-February). The AACN Synergy Model for Patient Care: A Nursing Model as a Force of Magnetism. Nursing Economics, Vol. 26(1), 17-25.
Synergy Model. (2012). Retrieved from http://nursing-theory.org/articles/AACN-synergy-model.php
Some error has occured.