1) In the 1980’s it was the slogan, “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle” and now it is “Go Green.” Consider the Reusable Grocery Bags sold in markets everywhere. What are the pros and cons that you see in this latest trend? Give examples of the potential environmental impact. Provide at least two references in addition to your text in support of your position. Be sure to cite your sources including your text using APA style and respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
2) Environmental science often deals with questions that are emotionally or politically charged. Dr. Carl Sagan developed a “Baloney Detection Kit” to help us evaluate scientific claims. Please give an example of what you have determined is bogus analysis using quasi-scientific jargon, but has little or no objectivity. Support your opinion by addressing the questions for Baloney Detection
Questions for Baloney Detection
1. How reliable are the sources of this claim? Is there reason to
believe that they might have an agenda to pursue in this case?
2. Have the claims been verified by other sources? What data are
presented in support of this opinion?
3. What position does the majority of the scientific community
hold in this issue?
4. How does this claim fit with what we know about how the
world works? Is this a reasonable assertion or does it contradict
5. Are the arguments balanced and logical? Have proponents of a
particular position considered alternate points of view or only
selected supportive evidence for their particular beliefs?
6. What do you know about the sources of funding for a particular
position? Are they financed by groups with partisan goals?
7. Where was evidence for competing theories published? Has
it undergone impartial peer review or is it only in proprietary
(Cunningham. Custom book for Ashford: SCI 207: Principles of Science. McGraw-Hill Primis Custom Publishing, 38503. p. 42).
Be sure to cite your sources including your text using APA style and respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
Some error has occured.