Topic: Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS) College Programs
Assignment: ??” IDS Web Exploration (about 4 pages plus supporting documentation)
Preparation: Get on the Internet and search academic interdisciplinary programs as well as interdisciplinary work efforts and other types of interdisciplinary projects. Be sure to cite your sources appropriately.
Examples of what to search:
• Interdisciplinary studies / interdisciplinary projects / interdisciplinary business /interdisciplinary work, etc…
• Knowledge integration / integrative thinking / integrative research, etc…
• Transdisciplinary / multidisciplinary / cross-disciplinary
Then respond to the following questions / prompts. Be sure to address all aspects of each prompt! Please include each specific prompt/question in the paper.
1) Search out some of the different interdisciplinary studies programs offered by other colleges / universities. Be sure to carefully peruse at least three to five other degree-granting interdisciplinary / organizational studies programs.
-Based on your exploration, what similarities and differences stand out to you?
-How does Arizona State University’s BIS program compare? Be sure to include the website addresses for the sites you discuss.
2) In addition to investigating different types of interdisciplinary degree programs, find some examples of interdisciplinary projects that involve multiple disciplines / perspectives. Describe these interdisciplinary endeavors.
-What makes these projects / programs interdisciplinary? Try to find some interdisciplinary endeavors in industry (not just at research universities) as well. Be sure to include the website addresses for the sites you discuss. If you’re having trouble here, try searching for projects or initiatives that you know to be complex (world hunger, nanotechnology, fighting terrorism, economic stimulus, etc.)
3) Find at least one website that discusses a topic, problem or issue that you think is a prime example of the integration of Communication and Women‘s Studiesspecifically.Describe how they are being integrated. Discuss how knowledge may be integrated across each of concentration areas (Communication and Women‘s Studies) and why this integrative effort is important with respect to the topic / issue at hand. Be sure to include the website addresses for the sites you discuss.
4) Based on your web-based investigations, identify three issues or problems that the world is facing today that you believe would require extensive interdisciplinary collaboration in order to effectively address. Carefully describe these issues and identify / discuss relevant disciplines and their possible contributions.
Some error has occured.